Clojure & Java Back-End Developer
3E is a leading technology and SaaS company providing digital solutions and expert services that maximise the performance of renewable energy assets. As a trusted data services partner, we deliver future-proof and easy-to-deploy solutions over a project’s entire lifetime, supporting developers, asset managers, operators, investors, EPC contractors and IPP's.
3E's one-stop digital platform SynaptiQ provides a complete range of leading SaaS solutions for development, operational asset management and analytics. In addition, 3E supplies various expert services for engineering, technical and strategic decision support.
3E has a proven track record spanning more than 20 years across 60 countries. It operates an international team of 100+ experts from its headquarters in Brussels and offices in Barcelona, Paris, Toulouse, Cape Town and Chennai.
Strengthened by partnerships with universities and industry pioneers, 3E continues to explore innovations and new developments in renewable energy and digitalisation, striving to provide the industry’s most advanced energy intelligence and AI-based solutions.
Our SaaS solution
SynaptiQ is 3E’s SaaS product, an independent, evolutionary software suite for asset management of renewable energy portfolios (more information on http://www.3e.eu/synaptiq). SynaptiQ collects near-real time data of more than 20 million devices spread over 10 thousands utility scale and commercial solar and wind sites spread all over the globe.
We develop and operate advanced analytical services to enrich the monitoring data by:
- satellite imaging data,
- meteorological modelling,
- advanced system modelling,
- machine learning & artificial intelligence.
The platform combines domains related to big data, high-performance processing, IoT protocols and AI and is the product of the interactions between a multidisciplinary team of developers, scientists, renewable energy architects, electrical engineers, and enthusiast sales that implement, operate and commercialize SynaptiQ worldwide.
The added value realized by SynaptiQ is performance improvement and operational cost reduction for its Operations & Maintenance customers.
What you will be doing
Operating and designing a pipeline that can process a high amount of versatile time-series data and protocols in near real time is a contemporary challenge in terms of performance, scalability, maintainability and flexibility.
So far, 3E developers pride themselves in having architected and developed a competitive data processing pipeline that is lean, efficient, scalable and that can be operated by a small team.
The entire platform takes advantages of several programming languages and runtime environments such as Clojure, Common Lisp, Java, Python, Bash, MySQL. We like to refer to it as “energy efficient software with very low carbon emission footprint”.
We are looking for a talented Clojure & Java Back-End developer. You have a passion for Clojure but don't mind shelling out to low-level Java when performance is required. You will report to the head of development and to our CTO.
Your tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Take ownership on the entire lifecycle of the high-performance in-house ETL engine and its integration with a new site information model database (digital twin)
- On the Clojure side, you will work on a solution that let end users manage the site information model for the configuration of the ETL engine
- On the Java side, you will work on scaling the high-performance concurrent data load engine and its integration with the new persistent information model in Clojure
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate is someone with strong development skills who can take the lead on our high-performance data engine. An enthusiastic team player with good written and oral communication skills is exactly what we are looking for!
Troubleshooting and problem solving is part of the game and stepping out of your comfort zone to learn new things is very welcomed. We would appreciate someone who can think technically with us from the start, setting out a roadmap and different scenarios from architecture to deployment. Proactivity is encouraged throughout the company.
What we are looking for in our new Clojure & Java back-end developer:
- You have a Bachelor or Master's degree in Computer Science, Electronics or similar with at least 8 years' work experience in an operational environment
- Strong background in declarative programming in Clojure
- Strong background in thread-safe concurrent programming in Java
- You have moderate knowledge on scaling distributed systems (queuing, sharding, caching, …)
- You have a moderate background in SQL
- You fluently speak English
Bonus points for:
- Knowledge of other languages
- Familiarity with Renewables Energy Sector, IoT, OT
What we offer in return
Our offices are hidden in the centre of Brussels with a view on a pond, with ducks and a heron bringing a regular visit. In addition to a stimulating atmosphere in a highly motivated group of people, 3E offers a unique opportunity to further develop yourself in a company/team with an ambitious growth plan, delivering innovative services.
We work in a distributed team. This position is remote friendly, with possibility to travel to Brussels office from time to time.
- Attractive salary package in line with your level of experience, including group insurance, hospital insurance, meal vouchers (8 euros), eco vouchers, representation allowance, company mobile phone + subscription, 32 days of vacation and a flex income plan.
- Sustainable transport: easy access with public transport, 100% reimbursement of public transport fare, bicycle allowance.
- Flexibility in our open-minded company.
- An international environment: projects in over 100 countries worldwide, colleagues of 20 nationalities.